Friday, March 9, 2012

Thing 10: CC

Creative Commons. What a great idea, something I have honestly never heard about. I knew everything these days was copyrighted ("All rights reserved") but the idea of everything having creative commons ("Some rights reserved") sounds even better. Then, creators still have their rights to their own ideas, but so do we, those of us who want to have access to their ideas, and want to be able to use it and mix it with our own ideas. I think this is great, it really shows how the world is changing. It is because of this website that more things, on the internet, are more readily available to everyday users.

I could potentially share my psychology thesis (after making corrections and having it be almost perfect) on my blog or open to the world wide web, and let other users work with it, possiby add to it or include it in their research. I can see how creative commons could be VERY helpful for those of us who do research and having access to much more on the web could be very helpful to our research. On the other hand, it could also have some downsides. With everyone having access to everyone else's research, I can see how that might make things get out of hand. Even though it would be nice to share research that has been done with others on the internet, it also means people can "remix and resuse" that research anyway they please, and that isn't always a smart thing. When you put all this hard work into research and want to share it with others you don't necessarily want them to mess around with it and claim it as theirs. Overall, though, I think that creative commons is a great idea and could really change the way things are shared and used on the internet, whether with everyday users like myself or big time institutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment